May is Better Hearing and Better Speech Month! Easter Seals Greater Houston‘s Children’s Therapy & Infant Program (Early Child hood Intervention) offer early identification and early intervention for children birth through 18 years to assist children in becoming successful communicators. The American Speech Language Association (ASHA) provided a link http://identifythesigns.org/the-signs/# to assist families with knowing the signs.
Know the Signs of common speech and language disorders in children between birth to 4 years of age, an important stage in early detection of communication disorders.
- Does not smile or interact with others (birth and older)
- Does not babble (4-7 months)
- Makes only a few sounds or gestures, like pointing (7-12 months)
- Does not understand what others say (7 months-2 years)
- Says only a few words (12-18 months)
- Words are not easily understood (18 months-2 years)
- Does not put words together to make sentences (1.5-3 years)
- Has trouble playing and talking with other children (2-3 years)
- Has trouble with early reading and writing skills (2.5-3 years)
- Listen and respond to your child
- Talk, read, and play with your child
- Talk with your child in the language you are most comfortable using
- Know it is good to teach your child to speak a second language
- Talk about what you are doing and what your child is doing
- Use a lot of different words with your child
- Use longer sentences as your child gets older
- Have your child play with other children
Contact Easter Seals Greater Houston 713-838-9050 for answers regarding your child’s speech development.