Know any retired, hardworking individuals that need something to focus their energy on?? We are the perfect group!! Our program could not function without dependable volunteers on our team! I currently have 5-7 volunteers that are volunteering with me on Mondays and Wednesdays at Easter Seals Greater Houston’s Adult Life Enrichment Program (LEAD) but I am in search of 1 – 3 more long term volunteers.
Why volunteer with our LEAD program? Hear from our volunteers yourself:
“My volunteering with Easter Seals’ program is the most enjoyable thing I do all week. The participants are genuinely friendly, warm and accepting of everyone, group members and volunteers alike. It is easy to volunteer because the activities are well planned and always interesting. But the most valuable thing to me is experiencing relationships with persons who have faced a lot of struggles and yet remain upbeat lovers of life. I find that inspiring. And, no group has more fun than we do!”
– Linda Meriwether, 5 years
“When I decided to retire from teaching after 33 years, I knew I needed to find something for me to do to occupy my time a few days a week. When I was growing up, my mom did volunteer work for an organization in Indianapolis and I remember how much she loved it. Easter Seals has been very special for me. I feel I have found another family and I am very humbled to be able to work with these outstanding adults and young adults. They brighten my day each time I go to group. I leave every time feeling fulfilled after working with Ashley and the other terrific helpers. I know the adults and young adults have a wonderful experience every time we meet.”
-Tom Clancy, 7 years
“I ALWAYS look forward to Mondays and Wednesdays when I volunteer at the LEAD program. This is an amazing program! It is so much fun to spend time with the clients and visit with the other volunteers. This is a very important program to the clients because most don’t have many other social-enrichment activities in their lives, and this program has allowed them to form friendships and have fun. It is personally fulfilling to volunteer my time to this program. I have had many blessings in my life, and this is a chance to ‘give back’”. -Paul Smith, 4 years
“For more than nine years I’ve really enjoyed volunteering with the Easter Seals Houston’s LEAD program… Working with everyone makes my day and week and year. I am blessed to have this opportunity to change lives for good and I get much more than what I put in. I am thankful for the chance to make a difference and have so much fun.” -Alyson Gershenson, 9 years
– Mondays and/or Wednesdays
– 9am to 12pm: 12pm to 3pm; or all day 9am to 3pm
– Memorial area at two different churches: MDPC and MDUMC; occasional field trips to movies, mall, sporting events, etc.
– what is LEAD? Life-enriching program for adults with varying disabilities which meets twice a week. Activities include: dance, yoga, crafts, music, games, karaoke, and more!
– duties: help individuals with varying disabilities participate in activities scheduled by Program Coordinator; assist with meals (serving and feeding); activity set-up and clean up; ensure the safety of all participants; encourage independence and participation of participants; work as a team with other volunteers and Program Coordinator
– must be able to pass background check
– must be compassionate and caring; willing to learn how to work with all individuals no matter level of disability
– Preference: Personal reference of reliable volunteer; member of one of the two affiliated churches (MDPC & MDUMC)